Recipe Credit: Polly Dombroski of @iggydoglover
Photo Credit: Laura Morrow of Simply AIP
8 oz. cooked, mashed sweet potato
2 ¾ cup tapioca flour, plus more for kneading
2 tsp salt
¼ cup avocado oil
¼ cup coconut milk
2 eggs (or gelatin eggs)
Two Gelatin Eggs:
2 tbsp grassfed gelatin (Great Lakes red can)
2 tbsp room-temp water
4 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Mix 1½ cup of tapioca flour and salt into the sweet potato mixture with a fork.
- TO MAKE GELATIN EGGS: Pour the room temp. water into a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and give it a swirl. Let it “bloom” a few minutes. Whisk in the boiling water until the gelatin is completely dissolved and the mixture is frothy.
- Add the avocado oil and coconut milk to the gelatin egg bowl and mix.
- Alternate mixing the remaining flour and the liquid with the sweet potato mixture until you make a firm dough.
- Begin kneading dough by hand to mix in potato lumps.
- Kneed until mixture doesn’t stick to your hands. If it sticks, add more flour 1 tsp at a time until silky and smooth.
- Mold into ¼-inch thick patties and press out with fingers on a cookie sheet lined w/parchment paper.
- Cook in oven for 10-14 min. Watch for edges just beginning to brown. Cool 5-10 min, then remove from the parchment and cool on a drying rack.
- Store in freezer and toast or reheat in pan to refresh. Makes about 9 flatbreads. Perfect as a sandwich wrap or mini pizza crust.