Recipe & Photo Credit: Indira Pulliadath, AIP Indian Fusion Cookbook
1/4 cup arrowroot flour
2 tbsp cassava flour
2 tbsp tapioca flour / starch
1⁄8 tsp sea salt
1⁄8 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp softened palm shortening
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a dry mixing bowl, add all flours, salt and baking soda. Mix using a fork to blend everything well.
3. Add palm shortening, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir using a spoon to mix. Use your hands to gently massage the palm
shortening into the flour until the flour gets moist and you get a dough. Do not overwork the dough.
4. Divide the dough into 6 equal sized balls. Press each ball flat between your palms until you get a flat cookie (about 1 1/2 inches diameter ). The cookie should be thicker in the center as compared to the edges. Lay the cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake at 350 F for about 14-15 minutes until the bottoms turn slightly golden. (The cookies will appear very soft but they will harden upon cooling ).
6. Let the cookies cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving.